Saturday, September 22, 2012

So...this is how it all started


So...this is how it all started. I was in the right place, at the right time. 

The then Director of Recycling and Waste could not meet her obligation to attend the Clean Cities Coalition conference for which UNC Charlotte is a stakeholder, and I was asked by the AVC of UNC Charlotte FM to sit in the representative chair. I had already been asking that my Construction Department be considered for Battery Electric vehicles, as the golf carts were atrocious; fuming up the cabs; belching out smokey exhaust; noisy as hell, and worthless for anything but hauling your butt around with a 5 gallon bucket of tools. But I think it was also because I bragged about my home (California) where many Universities were already way ahead removing gas carts, and buying electrics. I think he wanted to punish me or shut me up.

At that meeting, I met a great man; at least from my perspective; Mr. John R. Dabels, (http://www.evpowersystems.com/management/management.htm) whose history at GM was tied to the EV-1 and other excellent electric projects. Over the years our friendship grew; my education about how NEV (Neighborhood Electric Vehicles) worked; I found out what they couldn't do; and what I could expect as the future unfolded (not much).

It was a harsh lesson. The push back on Electric power was immense; from Mechanics; to procurement; to Motor Fleet; to the perception across Campus that batteries don't work. They all tried many other vendors and vehicles. We all learned about battery limitations, weight limitations, road grade incline challenges, off road worthiness and on and on.  But I was dogmatic. I went ahead and committed to building my Shop fleet with GEM, and it didn't fail me.

About 2008, one of the senior mechanics and I were talking about 15 passenger shuttle issues with charging, and he reached out, shook my hand, apologizing for being so negative and arbitrary regarding my enthusiasm and commitment for the GEM (http://www.polaris.com/en-us/gem-electric-car/Pages/Home.aspx) and other viable Electric Vehicles. He was finally an NEV supporter!  Why? Lower preventative services, no fuel, no fuel related services, no brake issues (motor slows vehicle down), no oil, air, and transmission filters and services. When we decided that sealed batteries were the ticket, the battery charge level issues dropped dramatically. When they came into the shop for a 'mileage' review, there wasn't much to review. Just make sure the bolts were tight, and the batteries were staying strong.

But the GEM (Global Electric Motorcar) was not nirvana, nor a panacea for meeting our Clean Energy footprint and Emissions reduction requires. Even though I modified several units for my then Construction Department, there were severe limits to what it could haul; especially up our many hilly roads and pedestrian ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment